Features

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Stress and a healthy lifestyle

Sometimes the littlest things will make me tailspin.  I know when that happens that I am on stress overload.  That is not good for me or anyone else.  So how do I avoid this?  I really am asking.



For the most part, I try to put my head down and push forward.  I try to sleep not that it works very well with my mind going a mile a minute.  I intentionally watch what I eat since I am a well-documented emotional eater.  I exercise to take my mind off it.  But are these long term solutions?



In fact, I have even started to do yoga.  Never thought I would say that.  I am more of a dance the pounds off - jump around - lift weights kind of exerciser.  The thought that I could lay down and move slowly and still burn calories was kind of a strange thought for me.  I have found that I really enjoy it though.  That is when I can do it by myself.  My dog tends to like to help.  And by help I mean lick my face when I am in downward dog.  Very helpful and completely distracting.  Kind of hard to concentrate when there are random distractions.  But you do what you can right?



I used to smoke.  I thought that helped.  You know like the Snickers commercial - need a minute?  That's what I felt that smoking gave me - that minute to think about things and formulate a solution.  Considering I quit that unhealthy habit 3 years ago - I no longer have that minute.  My friend Scott used to take "pencil" breaks.  It was his version of a smoke break.  Maybe I will adopt that.  It worked for him.  Maybe it will work for me too.



Eventually everything works out and you can come out of the stress overload.  Although, it can take a while especially if you don't deal with it properly.  Some things are on cycles like money, family, work... I am always open to suggestions on ways around this so let me know what works for you.



Here's what Daily Burn had to say about it:

8 Signs You’re Way Too Stressed (and How to Relax)

No comments:

Post a Comment